I love stuffed chicken. What’s not to like? Biting into a tender chicken breast filled with flavourful spices, herbs, cheese and/or vegetables.
Well these delicious Zucchini and Mozza Stuffed Chicken breasts look as if they are handcrafted by a chef in a five-star restaurant. But they are actually so simple to make!
They do not require much preparation time, and are a perfect weeknight meal for a busy family.Impress your friends with this #Healthy and #Delicious #Zucchini and #Mozza #Stuffed #Chicken Click To Tweet
The main ingredients are lean chicken breasts, zucchini, part-skim mozzarella cheese, shallots, and basil. As you can already tell, they contain a lot of flavour. In addition the coating contains whole wheat panko, parmesan cheese, basil and chili powder.
Panko is a Japanese style bread crumb and tends to be crispier than regular bread crumbs. If you only have breadcrumbs on hand, they will work too.
To make the Zucchini and Mozza Stuffed Chicken, firstly grate 1/2 cup mozza cheese and 1 cup zucchini. Then mince 2 tbsp shallots, and combine in medium bowl with 1 tsp dried basil. Add zucchini and mix well. Place zucchini mixture in a pan coated with cooking spray. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the mozza cheese and cook for 1 more minute.
After the zucchini mixture is ready, cut into the middle of four chicken breasts. Leave about 1-2 cm uncut on one side as shown below. Then add 3 tbsp of the zucchini filling.
Once you stuff the chicken, use turkey pins or cooking string to combine the chicken breast edges. This will allow the chicken to seal around the vegetable filling when cooking.
On a shallow dish, mix juice of one lemon and 1 tsp of olive oil. In another shallow dish combine 1 cup panko, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1.5 tsp dried basil and mix well. Place the chicken in the lemon and olive oil dish, and then in the panko mixture to coat evenly.
Once you have coated all four chicken breasts, place in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until done. Serve with a side salad, and enjoy!
- Cooking spray, olive oil
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 2 tbsp shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozza, part skim
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup panko, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp dried basil, divided
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat a medium frying pan coated with cooking spray to medium. Add zucchini, shallot, and 1 tsp basil, fry for 2 minutes. Add mozza and heat for 1 more minute.
- Take four chicken breasts and cut into the middle, leave 2-3 cm uncut on one side. Place about 3 tablespoons of the zucchini mixture inside the cut chicken breast. Use turkey pins or cooking string to combine the chicken edges once filled.
- In a shallow dish, mix panko, parmesan cheese, chili powder, and 1/2 tsp basil. In a separate shallow dish mix lemon juice and olive oil. Place the sealed chicken breast in the lemon mixture, then in the panko mixture and coat evenly. Place on a jelly roll plan in preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked.
280 calories, 32g protein, 10g fat, 13g carb, 1.7g fiber