I’ve been on this huge kick lately to make a variety of different granola bars. It is so much cheaper to make them yourselves (BONUS!), and they also taste better! Customize them to only add the ingredients you want, and also eliminate any items you don’t want.
As a matter of fact, they are sooooo easy, and the combinations are endless! By choosing the right ingredients, the end result can be a very healthy and delicious treat with no added preservatives or processed foods. Say goodbye to the days when you look at an ingredient list and don’t know what half of the food items are!
Some of my clients are vegan, which pushed me to create some more vegan friendly recipes. These no-bake Vegan Cherry Latte Energy Bar’s are a perfect snack, and are also without any added sugar. Prunes are used in place of honey, and they also contain nutrient and antioxidant rich chia seeds, walnuts and sunflower seeds. The natural sugar of the dried cherries and dates give the bars its sweet flavor. Adding coffee powder also gives that extra “kick” to give you that energy burst when you need it the most.
To make the bars, place the dates in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the coffee powder, vanilla, and peanut butter, pulse until blended. In a large bowl combine and mix all dry ingredients. Add the peanut butter/prune mixture and mix well.
Line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with wax or parchment paper. Place the granola mixture on top.
Place another piece of wax or parchment paper on top of the granola mixture. Press firmly with your hands to push the mixture into the corners and bottom of the dish. Place in a freezer for 2-3 hours or until frozen.
Remove from freezer and cut into 10-12 bars (or as many as you wish). The bars are now ready to eat! For best storage, individually wrap with saran wrap and place into freezer until your ready to indulge.
- 3/4 cup prunes, dried and pitted
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1.5 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup oats, certified gluten free
- 2 tbsp dried cherries
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp walnut, chopped
- Place prunes in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add peanut butter, instant coffee, and vanilla and pulse until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix. Add the prune/peanut butter mixture and mix well to incorporate.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with wax or parchment paper and add granola mix. Place another wax paper on top and use your fingers to press firmly onto the mixture so that it is firmly compacted. Make sure to press firmly on all edges and corners.
- Place in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until frozen. Remove and cut into eight equal bars.
192 calories, 7g protein, 8g fat, 26g carbohydrate, 4g fiber