If you like red wine, beets, or pasta, you will absolutely LOVE this recipe.
I started to fall in love with beets shortly after we moved to the Okanagan. Many of the local farms had an abundance of beets so I started to stockpile them and experience with different flavors and recipes.
Beets are so versatile. You can eat them raw, boil them, roast them in the oven, and even include them in desserts. Any way is delicious, and with their vibrant red color they are sure to visually enhance your dish.Love #Beets and #RedWine? Try this #Roasted #Beet and #Wine #Penne for dinner tonightClick To Tweet
Another thing that is abundant in the Okanagan is wineries. There is easy access to over a hundred different wineries, all with different wines having a very distinct taste.
In addition to tasting amazing, red wine also contains resveratrol which is an antioxidant that removes potentially damaging oxidizing agents in our body. However, it’s important to point out that the antioxidant effect is only observed when red wine in consumed in moderation.
Basically more wine does not mean more benefit. Bummer I know.
I came up with this recipe by total accident. I had some beets that were about to spoil, and my mint plant in the garden was starting to get overgrown.
I decided to combine the two with leftover red wine, because lets face it, everything is better with wine. I also added some other kitchen staples (shallots, garlic, olive oil), and it resulted in a absolutely delicious pasta dish.
Some advice when using the food processor with beets, rinse immediately after blending for less mess. The red color can stain if not cleaned up quickly.
- Cooking spray, olive oil
- 3-4 medium beets, cleaned and diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 375g penne pasta, whole wheat
- 2 tbsp shallot, minced
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup milk, skim
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Extra mint leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450
- On a lined baking and add beets, garlic, 1/4 tsp dried basil, and coat with cooking spray. Roast for about 35-40 minutes or until done.
- While beet mixture is roasting, cook penne according to package instructions. Keep warm.
- When beets are done, place in a food processor with shallots, chopped mint, red wine, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- After blended, add to saucepan with chicken stock, milk, and parmesan cheese and cook on medium low heat until parmesan cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes.
- After cheese has melted, add to pasta and mix well. Divide evenly onto four plates and top with fresh mint. Serve and enjoy!
329 calories, 12.6g protein, 6g fat, 54g carb, 7g fiber