Believe it or not I have a lot of clients that come to me that avoid pasta altogether. Why I ask? Simply they have heard somewhere that “carbs are bad,” and that they need to cut them out completely. This couldn’t be more untrue!
We need carbohydrates, or simply sugar, because our body uses that for its main source of energy. We cannot function in our daily routine without them, and we definitely cannot perform at our best.
Research shows that low-carb diets are not sustainable, people get too fatigued and tired that they have to resort back to their previous eating habits. This makes entire sense, as without them we would not survive. It is a shame that carbohydrates have such a bad reputation, because they truly are so important. Especially in exercise and during sports performance.
In this hearty vegetarian dish, the black beans and edamame beans supply most of the protein. Both are also rich in fiber and various vitamins and minerals.
Edamame beans can decrease our bad cholesterol, and play a positive role in cancer risk.Looking for a healthy #Plant #Protein Packed #Salad? Try this #Edamame and #Avocado #Pasta #SaladClick To Tweet
Avocado’s are rich in vitamin K and folate, and are also high in both mono- and poly-unsaturated fats, also called the “healthy fats.”
Tomatoes and corn are also high in many nutrients such as fiber and B vitamins.
For another vegetarian recipe, check out these Vegan Cherry Latte Energy Bars.
To prepare this recipe, firstly cook pasta according to package directions. Then combine the black beans, green onions, corn, edamame beans, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Combine the greek yogurt, buttermilk, garlic, cilantro, chili powder, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
When the pasta is cooked, add the vegetable mixture from the large bowl. Mix the dressing together. Then add the dressing to the pasta and vegetable mixture.
Right before you are ready to serve add the lime juice and avocado. Garnish with some parsley and ignite your taste buds.
- 1 box (340 g) 100% whole wheat farfalle (or bowtie) pasta
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1.5 cups frozen corn, unthawed
- 0.5 cup edamame beans, unshelled
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1/3 cup 1% greek yogurt, plain
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tbsp fresh minced parsley, and more for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Combine cooled pasta, black beans, tomatoes, corn, edamame bean, and onions in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the buttermilk, greek yogurt, chili powder, crushed red pepper, garlic, and cilantro. Mix well.
- Combine the buttermilk mixture with the black been mixture in the large bowl and mix together
- Prior to serving, add the avocado and lime juice and mix together. Add to salad along with Parsley and enjoy!
391 calories, 6.6g fat, 18g protein, 70g carbohydrate, 15g fiber