You know what’s better than chocolate and coconut? Nothing. Nope, nothing at all. Seriously.
Coconut in addition to cocoa are extremely flavorful and delicious. Combining the two together creates a very distinct and sweet taste. I have been playing around with the two flavors for years, and as a result have created these amazing no-bake Coco for Cocoa-Nut Protein Balls.
Your in for a treat, because up until now this recipe was a deep kept secret. No one knew the ingredients, however I was often asked by friends and family to have available for a quick treat.
These energy balls are my favorite quick snack when I’m on the run. Bring them to work for your afternoon pick me up to get you through the day.
Not to mention they are a great pre-exercise snack by providing some simple and complex carbohydrates for your workout. This is essential so you can optimize your energy levels and avoid “hitting the wall.”
In addition to being absolutely delicious, these balls are also jam packed with nutrients. Not only do they contain the omega-3 rich chia seeds and walnuts, but also the antioxidant rich cocoa powder.
Omega-3 fats, also called one of the “healthy fats,” or polyunsaturated fats are the good for you fats. The almonds from the almond butter contain the other “healthy fat”, called monounsaturated fats. Both of these fats lower our bad cholesterol. In other words, you want to have more of these fats more often.
Omega-3 fats also play a positive role in inflammation, along with lowering our risk for certain cancers.
Chia seeds also contain protein and fiber, and are rich in calcium and magnesium. Likewise walnuts are good sources of vitamin E, folate and fiber.
Basically these energy balls are just amazing for you. Bottom line.
The recipe in itself is very easy to make. In a large bowl, combine the oats, protein powder, chia seeds, walnuts, coconut, and cocoa powder, mixing well. Add honey, almond butter, and milk (slowly) to the large bowl. Use your hands to mix together. Keep adding milk to bowl until balls are moist, but stay together.
Roll balls together to make 12 balls, about an inch in diameter. Store in the fridge for 30 minutes. Then serve and enjoy.
If saving for later use, keep in fridge for up to 6 days, or place in the freezer for up to 3 months (if they last that long!).
- 1 1/2 cups large flaked oats
- 1/4 cup protein powder (I used chocolate peanut butter, but any flavour will work)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp walnut
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup natural almond butter
- 5-7 tbsp milk
- Combine oats, protein powder, chia seeds, walnuts, coconut, and cocoa powder in large bowl. Mix well.
- Add honey, almond butter, and milk (slowly) to the bowl. Use your hands to mix together. Keep adding milk to bowl until balls are moist, but stay together.
- Roll balls together to make 12 balls, about an inch in diameter.
- Once balls are formed, store in fridge for 30 minutes. Then serve and enjoy. If saving for later use, keep in fridge for up to 6 days, then discard.
120 calories, 5.5 g protein, 6 g fat, 13 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fiber.